Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact to receive Android 5.0 Lollipop in next 2 weeks?
We already knew that Sony had plans to bring the Lollipop software to its Z range pf [phones, but this announcement reveals that Sony are now ready for its release on some of the handsets. We consider the Z3 and Z3 Compact to be the first of many Sony handsets to get the OS.
— Sony Xperia News (@SonyMobileNews) March 16, 2015
Now, Sony have announced that the 5.0 update will be coming, but they haven’t quite told us when just yet, instead they are advising us to keep an eye on the @SonyMobileNews twitter account for just when the release will happen, but it should be released in the next 2 weeks.
The first devices to get the over-the-air update are situated in the Nordics and Baltics, but further markets will follow soon after.
In the official post Sony has revealed the full Android 5.0 Lollipop features coming to the Z3 and Z3 Compact:
“After blending Google’s first Lollipop release with our Sony software, some of the goodies include;”
- “Fresh, streamlined looks – based on Google’s material design, but retaining our minimalistic approach to interface and application design
- New look notifications and lock screen – with fully customizable settings, so you only get the information you really need
- Multi user profiles and guest mode – making it easy for family and friends to use your device, or the creation of dual environments for work and play…
- Android for Work – not only are business-ready Xperia smartphones and tablets unique devices for work – with waterproof form factors, great battery life and productivity features – they will now also be part of the Android for Work ecosystem
- Better storage control and customisation – with the option to easily move applications from internal memory to SD card – giving you more control over your content, particularly useful for devices with slightly less space”
Sony states that the “experience will be blended with Sony’s own user interface software” which means that the Android 5.0 features will slip in with the existing UI.
The update will be landing in the next few weeks, but as per usual with large update it will be released in batches first of all, and users with Network branded version of the Z3’s might not see the update yet.
The Android Lollipop OS was released back in October of 2014 (Android Lollipop 5.0 – What? When? Where? ) and many of Sony’s major rivals have already seen the OS land on the Flagship devices (Galaxy S5, Moto G3, Nexus 7 and the HTC One devices) so Sony is somewhat behind.