Heavy Rain wins big at Gaming BAFTA’s
The Gaming BATA’s took place last night in a lavish affair in London and one of the shock big winners was Heavy rain, the Playstation 3 exclusive interactive movie/ person shooter game.
The British Academy Video Games Awards takes place every year and celebrates the achievements of the video games industry and gives out awards such as Game of the Year, Best Action Game, Best Story and Artistic Achievement.
This year’s runaway success was Heavy rain which took awards for Story, Original Music, and Technical Innovation but narrowly missed out on Best game award which was given to the very popular EA game Mass Effect 2.
Other contenders such as Nintendo’s Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood didn’t score the big prizes but picked up individual awards for genres as Creed got the Best Action Game and Mario took home the Best Gameplay Award.
Activision’s latest game in its behemoth Call Of Duty franchise, Black Ops, took home the GAME Award which was voted for by actual gamers via GAME stores.
The BAFTA Fellowship award went to Populous and Fable creator Peter Molyneux for his many years and format changing games. Moleynuex is widely regarded as the creator of “God” based games such as Ages of Empires, Settlers and the SIMs.
The full list of winners was:
- Best Game – Mass Effect 2 (EA)
- BAFTA Fellowship – Peter Molyneux
- GAME Award – Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision)
- Best Action Game – Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
- Gameplay – Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)
- Sport – F1 2010 (Codemasters)
- Multiplayer – Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (EA)
- Strategy – Civilization 5 (2K)
- Story – Heavy Rain (Sony)
- Best Family Game – Kinect Sports (Microsoft)
- Handheld – Cut the Rope (Chillingo)
- Social Network Game – My Empire (Playfish)
- Use of Audio – Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (EA)
- Original Music – Heavy Rain (Sony)
- Artistic Achievement – God of War 3 (Sony)
- Technical Innovation – Heavy Rain (Sony)
- One to Watch – Twang (That Game Studio)
Do you disagree or agree with the choices? Feel anything was left out? Let us know on our Twitter account @Gadget_Helpline.
Tags: 3, 360, Activision, assassins creed brotherhood, Call of Duty: Black Ops, EA, F1 2010, Gaming, hanheld, Mass Effect, microsoft, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, nintendo, Peter Molyneux, playstaion, ps3, Sony, Super Mario Galaxy 2, wii, xbox